Ag Structures I
Prerequisite – None
Class Focus: 9 – 12
This course is an introduction to the construction industry. Students will learn to use various measuring tools to preform basic building layout. They will identify basic building materials. Extensive class time will be spent on developing skills in using hand tools, power tools and machines in the building industry. Students will learn to layout floors, walls and rafters and estimate materials for buildings. Safety glasses are required.
The student will:
1) List 10 Businesses in the Chippewa Valley that would employ a person with construction skills.
2) Identify major construction materials and their use.
3) Learn to use construction hand tools safely and properly to complete construction skills.
4) Learn to use construction power tools safely and properly to complete construction skills.
5) Learn to use tape measures and a builders level to layout a building.
6) Identify the types of foundations used in construction and the pros and cons of each.
7) Know floor construction parts and how to estimate floor material needs.
8) Know wall construction parts, how to layout a wall and estimate wall material needs.
9) Identify common fasteners used in the construction industry.
10) Know the importance of quality of work in the construction industry.